Rhinoceros beetle<<<< Back to insects
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Insecta
- Order: Coleoptera
- Suborder: Polyphaga
- Infraorder: Scarabaeiformia
- Superfamily: Scarabaeoidea
- Family: Scarabaeidae
- Conservation status: Least concern
- Areal: All continents except Antarctica
- Habitat: Leaf litter, plants, and fallen logs
- Diet: herbivorous
- Size: 15cm (up to 6 inches)
- Colors: all colors
- Prey: fruit, nectar, and sap
- Predators: Birds, Rats, Rodents
- Lifespan: 3 – 6 months
- Reproduction: about 50 Eggs
- Special Features: among the largest of beetles, can lift up to 850 times their own weight
European rhinoceros beetle (Oryctes nasicornis) is one of the largest species of beetles on Earth.
Rhinoceros beetle habitat is preferred in the sawdust from bark or cracks at their base.
Here there are larvae. It spread from northern Europe, where a species is found up in the Mediterranean and North Africa.
European rhinoceros beetle is a species included in the Appendices of the Bern Convention as "rare and endangered species."
Food Rhinoceros beetle
These beetles do not feed during adult life by consuming food stocks that had accumulated during larval life.
All rhinoceros beetles are herbivorous. The adults feed on fruit, nectar, and sap. The larvae eat decaying plant matter. Typical Lifespan: Longevity varies among species, but a typical lifespan is one to two years.
Features Rhinoceros beetle
European rhinoceros beetle is the size of 6-10 cm. Adult body is robust and strong, having a brownish color more or less closed. The size of both sexes ranging from 25 to 43 mm.
Is pronounced sexual dimorphism in this species, the male head having a strong horn, arcuate at the back. The male looks like a rhino, hence the common name. The female has no lump on the head, it presents only a tuber conical thorax.
Compared to its size is the most powerful being on Earth because it can pick up 850 times its weight. It is a nocturnal species occurs in the evening, the day soaking in hiding. It was found that are attracted to bright lights.
Cockroaches are pets in Asia because they are easy to maintain. In some countries beetles are asked to fight each other while people are winning bets.
- Oryctes nasicornis afghanistanicus
- Oryctes nasicornis chersonensis
- Oryctes nasicornis corniculatus
- Oryctes nasicornis edithae
- Oryctes nasicornis grypus
- Oryctes nasicornis Hindenburg
- Oryctes nasicornis holdhausi
- Oryctes nasicornis illigeri
- Oryctes nasicornis kuntzeni
- Oryctes nasicornis latipennis
- Oryctes nasicornis Mary
- Oryctes nasicornis nasicornis
- Oryctes nasicornis ondrejanus
- Oryctes nasicornis polonicus
- Oryctes nasicornis przevalskii
- Oryctes nasicornis punctipennis
- Oryctes nasicornis shiraticus
- Oryctes nasicornis transcaspicus
- Oryctes nasicornis turkestanicus
Reproduction Rhinoceros beetle
Rhinoceros beetles live 3-4 years in the larval stage. Spring they reach adult insect males fight each other for females.
After mating the males die.
European rhinoceros beetle has a reproductive cycle of 3-4 years and adult lives up to one year.
The active period of these insects is between the months of April to August.
Did you know that:
Cockroaches are pets in Asia.
European rhinoceros beetle can fly
Males die after reproducing
It is the most powerful being on earth metal, can lift 850 times its weight.