Dandie Dinmont Terrier dog breed<<<< Back to dog breeds
- Country: Scotland
- Group: Terrier
- Weight: 8-11 kg
- Height: 20-30 cm
- Colors: gray, brown
- Training: relatively easy, do it with perseverance
- Grooming: requires regular brushing
- Temperament: active, determined, loving, independent
- Health: generally healthy
- Litter size: 2 - 4 puppies
- Lifespan: 12 - 15 years
- Other names: Dandie, Hindlee Terrier, Dandie Dinmont Terrier dog
This short-legged terrier is probably the oldest breed of terriers. The breed was developed in the rugged region on the border between England and Scotland (Cheviot hills and Teviotdale), and the first mentions clear reference to the Dandie Dinmont Terrier were made at the beginning of the eighteenth century.
The dog owes its name to a character in the novel Guy Mannering of Sir Walter Scott (published in 1815), in fact the only race in the world named after a fictional literary character. Dandie Dinmont has been called Pepper and Mustard Terrier, after the basic colors displayed.
The dog was used for hunting nevaistuici native Scotland, otters, badgers, foxes, rabbits and other rodents are very agile and covering the ground with surprising speed, developed through the seemingly impossible physical conformation. Often the dog was poachers who hunted Gypsies and Scottish estates illegally (Duke of Buccleuch developed an important line of dogs Dandie Dinmont Terrier from a specimen trapped on his estate in 1839!).
Until July decade of the nineteenth century dog became so popular that they started thinking of a Dinmont Terrier Club of Breed Dandie. It was founded on November 17 1875 in the town Selkirt, Scotland, remaining until today the second oldest club dedicated to a particular breed, after Bulldog Club Incorporated (1873). American Kennel Club (AKC) registered the breed Dandie Dinmont Terrier in 1888.
Unfortunately, at present, Dandie Dinmont Terrier is one of the most endangered breeds in terms of keeping track of blood purity, there is danger that race disappear in the future. Among the famous dog breed owners Dandie Dinmont Terrier were counted Queen Victoria, Agatha Christie and Sir Alec Guinness.
Food Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Dandie Dinmont Terrier is a small dog, but energetically, demonstrating a high level of activity and, at least in early life, loosely consume their energy. As undoubtedly will advise and veterinarian, Dandie Dinmont Terrier dogs will need to supplement your diet with a rich mineral content that contributes to strengthening bones and joints.
The elongated body, supported by a backbone as, subject to torsional forces large is supported by a lower body made of short limbs, modeled disproportionately (front legs shorter and more robust, and the front thinner and longer ). This special construction request largely skeletal system, and requests must be prevented through proper diet. Approaching eternal dispute focused on the advantages of feeding dogs commercial and home prepared, fresh ingredients, the conclusion is, as expected, dualistic.
Each of the two versions has its own advantages and disadvantages. In the case of commercial food - be it dog food dry, semi-moist or wet - you will find numerous brands that offer certain types especially recommended Terrier type dogs. If unable to identify such a product, keep in mind that food recommended by other breeds such as the Corgi, Australian Terrier, Skye Terrier, Basset Griffon Vendéen is Petit as good. All races listed above have much in order Anatomical digestive race constructive Dandie Dinmont Terrier and require a similar diet.
If you choose to correct food prepared in the home, consult a veterinarian to know what vitamins and minerals are imperative in the animal's diet and what ingredients they contain relevant percentage. Chicken, vegetables (or lightly cooked), fish oil, cheese and eggs must be central elements integrated into the food you prepare for your little Dandie Dinmont Terrier.
Special attention you should pay special products for oral hygiene and are available in pharmacies veterinary or pet-shop owners. These special products offered in the form of biscuits, chocolate bars, tablets etc. More help eliminate tartar and gum health care, the more important issues in the race more as cases are reported periodically triggered by dental disease in middle age. Dandie Dinmont Terrier is a breed that prove to be very greedy.
Having a very good smell, like any hunting dog, being naturally curious and stubborn, these dogs will always want to taste the food consumed by family members. Even if they have systematically refuse, they will insist to exasperation in their approach, appealing to all sorts of tactics. There may not be agreement that are extremely nice, especially in the period when they are puppies.
Dandie Dinmont Terrier is, despite displays a small sized dog both physically and mentally strong. Even if proudly bears the nickname "Gentleman Terrier", this dwarf will prove sometimes stubborn and hard-specific Terrier, so that will put pressure on each family member separately until they find the "weak link" - the person who will agrees to give them a piece of meat to taste, a slice of mezel a little dessert etc.
Once opened Pandorra box, it will not be closed too easy. Dandie Dinmont Terrier dog is smart enough to learn fast lessons that have prevailed, and if you find that successful as a "beggar" will abandon his bowl always looking to get his share of the food served on the table family. Stubbornness will help even to autoinfometeze hoping to impress enough much to please. Firmness and perseverance will help greatly in this dispute worn with your dog Dandie Dinmont Terrier.
If you agree to it "adopted" or even regular family meals away and allow to ignore systematically feed specially designed for his (totally or in part) you reach the counter of the feed incorrect, unbalanced, most often harmful, contributing to the degradation of his health condition. And if this breed is well suited to apply the rule of 30 minutes (time cat food bowl will be available) and not give up to his tricks tanguielile and executed in order to receive another type of food.
Document your thoroughly to achieve the correct food recipe race / age / his work and fight to impose, because you have just won in both directions. Teach all family members to act similarly and not feed him stealthily with all kinds of "goodies" not recommended. On the other hand, explain to children under age which happens to be part of the family, as some took possession of the dog food is not good to be taken back without certain precautions.
Description Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Small dog, part of the family of Terrier, Dandie Dinmont Terrier has a long body, well developed, muscular and flexible. The head is large, broad, tapering towards the nose. Eyes, dark brown color, are large, round shape and distance. Big ears hang down, covered with long hair. Dandie Dinmont Terrier is remarkable mostly for the longest bow top of the head, but also elongated, with short legs and chest deep, curved.
The tail is shaped like a scimitar and is high only in a state of alert. Dandie Dinmont Terrier have strong jaws with teeth very well developed. It is a dog who develops special needs are modest and adaptable, make no fuss about food and is content with remaining food on the table owner.
No risks of obesity, so the diet should not be supervised in this regard. It will consume excess energy and will not eat more than she needs. Fur has two layers, moisture resistance, with a first coat soft and fluffy and the second somewhat strange, with portions harsh and silky to the lower back.
The fur will not be combed back, as other breeds of terrier, but will be left to grow naturally and wrinkle to be easier to maintain. Is a dog that leaves little hair. Dandie Dinmont Terrier can be color "Pepper" (variations in color from black to light silver gray) and "mustard" (from reddish brown to pale beige).
Standard dimensions: Height = 20 to 28 cm; Weight = 8.11 kg. Life Expectancy: 12-15 years.
Behavior Dandie Dinmont Terrier
By its nature, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier owner attaches strong, funny and loving become a wonderful companion dog. Dandie Dinmont Terrier is also called "Gentleman Terriers" because it is ranked as the most calm and representative of this family dogs energetic and restless. It is vigilant and sensitive, affectionate and very curious by nature.
He is always interested in the highest rank of all the activities he carries out his master, whatever their nature, and will always be around when it mestereste something, even if not really give advice. They are very sociable copy will behave with other animals of the house, as long as they are accustomed to small, and one of their main theme will be to play with children.
It is not recommended to have two dogs Dandie Dinmont breed males in the same space, they will end up brawl, especially when any female in the surroundings will be available. Also, do not let it be challenged by other dogs of the same sex (especially males), for brave gentleman will retaliate without the slightest hesitation. It tends to bark a lot and left without a leash and unattended, will quickly find a pet hunting.
The hunting instinct is very strong, Scottish tells stories about dogs breed Dandie Dinmont Terrier who spent three days in rodents galleries before going out to supafata! And they tend to dig, so if you have a small yard with a garden you are proud, think that balance does not fit anymore satisfaction and a copy of the Dandie Dinmont Terrier.
Training Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Terrier breed dogs have a solid reputation for stubborn dogs. The good news is that the nice hunter on small Dandie Dinmont Terrier inherited a reasonably small dose, being a dog more pliable. No wonder one of the most popular nicknames of this dog breed is "Gentleman Terrier". Being an intelligent dog training is based on patience and perseverance will definitely succeed.
When you are the master of a Dandie Dinmont Terrier and take care of training, looking to follow these guidelines:
- Subscribe to a short course with the dog obedience training (obedience training). Given the characteristics of the breed, it is better that the first steps in training to be coordinated by a specialist. Following technique and processes that it applies, you will learn useful things on your turn;
- Make the transfer of authority in relation to the dog after graduation initiation Obedience training, repeating the dog commands and techniques used by the instructor. Following the words used, body attitude, gestures and tone of voice instructor observed, you will become, in the eyes of your canine friend, the new leader in training;
- Perseverance is the key. Always insist that once an order is executed, the more as you certainly been appropriated. Dandie Dinmont Terrier display their stubbornness sometimes, most of the time when interests differ from your intentions. Do not abdicate the dominant attitude; back calm to an order already appropriated, repeat a few times for good cooperation and rewarding the dog back in the "weak point";
- Keep everything simple form. Although it is an intelligent, Dandie Dinmont Terrier still has a capacity to maintain attention quite low. This animal alert, has been a good hunting dog and likely to keep him attentive to the changes in the environment. Do not like to focus too much on an abstract issue such as execution of a command or a training exercise;
- Use a single word. Whenever possible, limit order at a single word that will remain unchanged. For example, instead of saying, "Sit BEAUTIFUL!", It is better to just say "Sit!" ( "Come!" Instead of "COME HERE!" "Come to MAMA" etc.). Following these words and using them always with the same meaning and significance, will ease interaction with your dog;
- Use your tone of voice. Here it is good to experiment and customize the dog, meaning to talk to him as a person. You must learn to control your tone firm ultimatum - to stop the action with potentially dangerous implications (crossing street altercation with another dog, chasing a child etc.), angry tone - to capture the attention and emotionally involved when it is absent or uncooperative tone cheerful, satisfied - for moments of reward, tone gentle, affectionate - for situations calming and peaceful. There are breeds able to learn a large number of words. No Dandie Dinmont Terrier is not helpless in this regard, but as most dogs he reacts to the tone of voice, inflection playing with great accuracy, meaning beyond the words used most;
- Exploit this dog pride and emotional potential. It happens quite often that a Dandie Dinmont Terrier involved in a training exercise to ignore repeat a command that you execute after a while suddenly and without you to ask. Ignore for the moment his presence, bring an air of distant and absent move away a few steps. Then, looking at him intensely, repeat previous voice command ignored farm. Initially baffled that was not appreciated for its success, the dog will want to prove that knows what to do and deserves praise. Similarly proceed after a missed meeting.
Try to be aloof dog all day, refusing to appreciate its full charm and processes displayed by choosing to fawn over you. If, the next day you will have a more diligent student and cooperating generously rewarded him and give him a compensatory affective treatment. Most times, the dog will make a difference;
- Do not lengthen meetings. Efficiency and maintain a good tone and a productive concentration from your dog Dandie Dinmont Terrier sits in composition of an exercise training program that does not include half longer than 10 minutes. 3-4 such occasions, separated by breaks of relaxation and play are enough for one day;
- Be creative. Remember what activities and games captures the attention of your dog breed Dandie Dinmont Terrier most creative and insert them in the training program. Depending on the inspiration of the moment, develop them and try to make them as attractive as possible for the dog. The combination play-practice is a technique infallible in the training any dog breeds and more so in the case of playful and energetic dogs such as the breed Dandie
Characteristics Dandie Dinmont Terrier
This dog is brave, tireless, bold and cheerful and also calm, balanced, vigilant and sensitive. Affectionate and devoted owner and his family, is reserved with strangers.
Is loving and cheerful children, accept other animals and other dogs if socialized was small. The coat should be brushed regularly and trimmed once or twice a year.
This dog is trainable, but we must not forget that it can sometimes be stubborn. A very good hunter of small animals and birds. That is why training must be firm, consistent, without being severe or harsh.
Health Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Past the hunting dog used against rodents, old line of descent small "built" on a strong skeletal system supported by well-muscled, gives his Dandie Dinmont Terrier dog image of a robust and durable.
Even so stay broadly the situation, but some improvements to the current race, less successful crossings have "cracked" slightly Armor health. The most common health problems seen in dogs are bred Dandie Dinmont Terrier:
- Glaucoma (a disease often detected in dogs), cataract and corneal ulcers;
- Orthopedic diseases in general favored the skeletal construction of these special dogs (type condrodisplastic). In this chapter appearing intervertebral disease, patellar luxation, hip dysplasia, dislocation of shoulder;
- Allergies of various shapes (pyoderma as a more severe form), meaning that these disorders are common in all races Terrier;
- Diseases of the hormonal / endocrine, including hypothyroidism and Cushing's disease have the highest incidence;
- Cancer, in various forms. The highest rate of production in the breed is reported to lymphosarcoma.