Border Collie dog breed<<<< Back to dog breeds
- Country: England
- Group: Shepherd and Cattle
- Weight: 12-20 kg
- Height: 46-56 cm
- Colors: black and white
- Training: trainable, smart
- Grooming: should be brushed and combed regularly
- Health: strong and healthy with few medical sensitivities
- Litter size: 4 - 8 puppies
- Lifespan: 11 -14 years
- Other names: Scottish Sheep Dog, Border Collie dog
Border Collie originated in Northumberland region of demarcation between Scotland and England. It is believed that the race had descended from British breeds old sheepdogs and Cattle some type influences spaniel breeds. Long before being indistrualizata UK, the British Isles were based on sheep breeding to sustain the economy.
Sheep needed constant supervision, so the Border Collie was the one who carry out this work in a manner worthy of admiration. Border Collie was first mentioned in 1570 in a book about dogs English.
Since then, different breeds of sheepdogs were created, but none compare to the Border Collie. Initially, the race was perfected around 1890 in the provinces of the border between England and Scotland, and povincii after which the race was called. His skills flocks good supervisor and enthusiasm resulted in an increased demand for this breed in Australia and New Zealand.
Even today, there are people who still believe that Border Collie is originally from Australia. One of the most skillful breeds, Border Collie was also used to detect narcotics and bombs, in search and rescue operations and in the police service. Some copies have managed to be successfully trained to be used as guide dogs for people with disabilities.
Food Border Collie
Once an adult, it will not cost a lot in terms of nutrition.
That's because it is not particularly picky and greedy appetites and amounts of food that needs fits into the normal range.
However, they are small, must be fed seriously, especially 4-8 months, but avoiding over-eating.
Description Border Collie
Border Collie is a medium sized dog with a muzzle neither too large nor too small. Conical head with a prominent stop and the ears are partially or totally worn high.
The muzzle tapers towards the nose black. Oval eyes are generally dark brown, except merle variety that one eye may be blue. Long tail can reach up to the middle third of the hind limbs, spine extension being worn only when the dog is aroused and never curled back.
The double coat is weather resistant. There are two varieties of coat, one short and one long smooth. The hair around the neck is longer forming a mane. The hair on the face, ears and forelegs is always short and smooth. Border collie is found in a variety of colors and combinations of colors, but white is not, in general, the predominant color. The most common color is black with white spots or without traditional tail tip from the collar, head and limb extremity and with or without tan markings.
Other colors are represented by Merle (blackbird color) and sable (sable color). Border Collie adult can achieve a body weight of about 14-20 kg and 12-19 kg male to female and a height at the withers of about 48-56 cm and 46-53 cm from male to female.
Behavior Border Collie
Border collies are very intelligent and receptive, are too smart to sit idle all day at his home. If you are not devote enough time and attention will get bored and become destructive and will develop behavior problems.
Have a sensibility that makes them easy to train, they are suitable for agility competitions. If you have an extensive program of exercise, to keep him occupied, you will understand wonderful with other races. Establish a wonderful relationship with children, with whom love to run and play.
Border Collie puppies are perfectionists and have a relentless desire to please the master, they would be ideal for it to have experience in raising dogs and especially time to really deal with them and turn them qualities.
Just exercise are not enough dogs were extremely intelligent and energetic, they want to work and must do this both with the mind and soul and by doing various tasks that it performs.
Training Border Collie
Border Collie's likes to learn and play. Intelligent Border Collie owner needs a dedicated, consistent and willing to spend a long time (more than other races) especially when this involves training and education of the child.
Otherwise, you will have a copy frustrated, intimidated and difficult to control. Many Border Collies can be trained to perform certain commands only with hand signs or some beeps. Viewing a Border Collie during his supervision of a flock of sheep is an extraordinary experience.
Characteristics Border Collie
Border collie needs a lot of activity and mental stimulation to prevent the development of behavioral disorders. Quick and agile, this tiny dog has an endless energy, constantly feeling the need to play or have something to do.
Border Collie should be brushed and combed regularly to keep the coat in good condition. A special care should be given when or deep soft lint and often is replaced. Bathing and grooming with dry shampoos (powder) will be made only when the situation requires. Border Collie moderate and seasonal shed.
Health Border Collie
It is generally a strong and healthy dog with few medical sensitivities order. However, these disorders have been reported with increased frequency:
- Hip dysplasia is a malformation of the hip joint that results in pain, lameness and arthritis in a row.
- Cryptorchidism is a condition manifested by absence of migration of one or both testicles in the scrotum. Testicle or testicles that have not migrated to stock testicular remaining in the abdominal cavity or the paths are likely sooner or later to tumorizeze. For this reason, copies of cryptorchidism will be castrated.
- Collie anomaly eyeball is a disorder characterized by impaired development of the eyeball. It is a genetic disease, and the majority of eye injuries associated with this disease occurs at birth. The disease affects the retina, choroid, and in some cases, sclera and optic nerve.
- Progressive retinal atrophy is a disease that causes the degeneration of nerve cells in the retina. The disease often begins in older dogs and can lead to blindness.
- Pannus is a disease of the eye that results in inflammation occurrence.
- IOL dislocation is represented by detaching or moving the lens in its anatomic position within the eye.
- Cataracts cause a loss of the normal transparency of the lens. The problem can occur in one or both eyes and may gradually lead to blindness.
- Osteochondrosis shoulder is a congenital disorder that induces a degenerative arthropathy of the shoulder joint.
- Congenital deafness is present at birth.
In addition, Border Collie is prone to flea saliva allergy and epilepsy.
The average life expectancy of the breed Border Collie is about 11-14 years old.